Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Why doesn't the post office deliver on Sundays?

NPR aired a piece about the woes of the U.S. Post Office today. Sales are down, they're in the red, etc etc. It seems like we hear a report like this every year. A hundred years ago the phone was going to kill direct mail. After that it was UPS. Then FedEx. Now it's the internet. Or something.

The post office has marched out the usual ideas to save themselves. The oldest, most decrepit idea stood up first: stop delivering mail on Saturday. Saves cost, right? Who in America cares if they get mail on Saturday?

Before I go there, let me point out that this is wrongheaded from the start. You can't save your way out of a sales problem. So with that in mind, here's an idea for you Mr. Post Office.

How about Sunday delivery?

I tell you I'm one customer who's dying for someone to offer full weekend delivery. It would be an incredible service improvement to our customers. We could level our weekly shipments since we would no longer have to restrict 2 Business Day shipments to Monday through Wednesday. If someone would offer full weekend shipping, I'd sign up ZMO lickety split. Every year I tell this to our UPS rep, Forrest, resplendent in his perma-tan, over a blueberry donut in our break room. Forrest laughs. Yet, the post office is halfway there. Just add one more day. Come on.

I'm not holding my breath.

1 comment:

Lucy Carnaghi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.